In August I sent the first issue of my new newsletter, which includes extra content for readers who’d like to go a bit beyond the blog. It includes news about my forthcoming book publication, as well as links, photos, poetry, and more. You can check out the first issue here, and if you’d like to sign up, use the form at the bottom of this post.
This month the 20 Books of Summer challenge came to a close, and I was very pleased with how it went this year (I only aimed at 10 books but achieved 14). I knocked a few longstanding books off my TBR, made progress in several challenges, discovered some new favorite authors, explored many different parts of the world, and even read books in two foreign languages. I also fit in a number of other spontaneous or mood reads, that were also quite outstanding.
It has really been a summer to remember, in terms of reading. How was it for you?
- The Wild Silence by Raynor Winn
- The Island of Missing Trees by Elif Shafak – Around the World, Cyprus, 10 Books of Summer
- Dopamine Nation by Anna Lembke
- Spare by Prince Harry – Spiritual Memoir Challenge
- The Christmas Appeal by Janice Hallett
- Krabat by Oftried Preußler – Summer in Other Languages, 10 Books of Summer
- Kindergeschichten by Peter Bichsel – Summer in Other Languages
- Run Towards the Danger by Sarah Polley
- The Telling by Ursula K. Le Guin – #LoveHain, 10 Books of Summer
- Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf – 10 Books of Summer
- Sweet Bean Paste by Durian Sukegawa – Around the World, Japan, 10 Books of Summer
- The Girl with the Louding Voice by Abi Daré – Around the World, Nigeria, 10 Books of Summer
As noted above, I finished two books in German this month. I feel as though I’m becoming slightly more fluent; there’s an occasional page where I don’t even have to look up a word, and overall things are falling more easily into place. I hope I can keep going and build on this progress, whether with short stories or a longer novel.
Now, should I try watching the movie of Krabat? Might not be a bad idea…
Life has been extremely busy and active. My son had an art exhibition and started in a new school, we moved to a new apartment, I began working more hours at my regular job, I had a book title discussion with my publisher and learned more about upcoming steps. I don’t even know what else happened, as my life is now in boxes and I have to unpack it. I still may not have much time for blogging in the near future, but I’ll try to manage a post or two!